CHURCH HISTORY AND ARCHIVES
All of the previous written histories are now in the library. If anyone is interested in reading them, they are available!
Do you have a short story or a long story or some photos that we can copy into our "history" collection? (church office: 928-537-7830)
About Our Saviour
We began as The White Mountain Mission on January 1, 1954 in McNary, Arizona, although records show there were services held in homes before that time.
Many priests served the community and between 1954 and 1962 the mission was officially closed several times by the diocese. In 1962, bishop Harte directed that the mission be opened again and soon after became The Episcopal Church of Our Saviour. In 1963, this one acre lot was given to the diocese to be used for a church. The present A-frame structure was constructed, and again the area was served by a number of priests.
Becker Hall, named after one of the first priests, was built as a parish hall in 1968. the property next to the church, with a three bedroom home included, was purchased to be used to expand the parking lot and as a vicarage.
St. Polycarp and All Martyrs hall was dedicated in 1990 by Bishop Heistand and Becker hall was remodeled to serve as an office, Sacristy and robing room.
From 1981 to the present, we have had only three priests and the congregation has grown both physically and spiritually. Father Ken Roush was serving as priest in 1981 and continued at Church of Our Saviour until his retirement in 1994. From 1994 to 1996 Father Lee Martin was our priest.
Fr. Jim, his wife Candy, and two children, Maggie and Nick joined us August 19, 1997.
On October 23, 1999, the Church of Our Saviour was accepted by the diocese as a self-supporting parish at the General Convention in Phoenix.
Since that time we have met with the Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America and have formed a ministerial partnership with them to serve their needs in the White Mountains.
This webpage is under constrduction